Lauren Casper »

We have a SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a whirlwind this has been!! I am still trying to wrap my mind around all that’s happened. Just two weeks ago we were sitting pretty at #7 and now we have our referral and a little face to go with our love and prayers for our boy! I am still in shock! So, here’s how it all happened…On Friday morning we knew we were #4. I had been facebook and blog stalking Jenny all week waiting for her to get her referral and make us #3. At about 2pm Friday I got a text from V, the family right in front of us saying “you’re #2!” So then I knew Jenny AND Niki got their referrals that morning! I was to so excited. V was #1 and we were #2. Then, at about 5pm my phone rang and it was V… she had just got her referral – we were #1!!! OH my goodness – 3 referrals in one day! I can’t describe how excited we were!!! 3 hours later AGCI (our agency) closed, so I knew that we wouldn’t get a call until Monday at the absolute earliest. I honestly had no idea how I was going to make it through the weekend! Good thing we were leaving town Saturday morning – we would be very busy!

I slept like a baby on Friday night and Saturday we drove up to Lexington, Va. John was asked to speak at a fall festival on Sunday for VMI cadets and students from a few other nearby colleges. I slept like a baby Saturday night too – and Sunday was filled to the brim! Sunday night, though, I could NOT sleep at all! I finally got up and decided to make to-do lists. That usually helps calm my brain and get me to sleep. It wasn’t working. My guy was on my heart and I couldn’t settle down. So I got out my notebook and started praying. (Sometimes I write my prayers – it helps me not get distracted, and I like to be able to look back on them.) I prayed and prayed for our boy, for us, for his birth family… I prayed for 3 pages front and back. Finally I felt like I could go to bed at 1am. It was NOT a restful night – I tossed and turned all night long.

This morning I woke up and immediately felt like Christmas morning! My heart was fluttering and I had butterflies in my stomach. We got ready, and had some friends to meet with before we got back on the road. I remember thinking “I hope we either get the call before we leave, or after we get home.” I didn’t want to get the call mid-trip and not be able to see his pics for hours! So, we went about visiting with friends and then got on the road about 2:30pm. It’s a 4 hour drive home. AGCI closes at 8pm our time. I had my phone out and the volume turned up. I gave the agency their own special ring tone last week, so I would know it was them. Then I worked on a little sewing project while John drove.

I remember thinking at about 5pm, “we’re not getting the call today… if our referral was ready they would call earlier in the day.” Then my phone rang… it was my mom. I’m getting together with her and my sister tomorrow. So she was calling to solidify plans and in the middle of the all my phone beeped that I had a voicemail. It never even beeped in that I had a call on the other line! My mom was still chatting away and I just knew that I had missed a call from our agency. Then John’s phone rang and I looked over and saw the area code. “PICK UP THE PHONE!!!” I said so loud! “It’s AGCI!!!! PICK IT UP!!!” So he did and then got a big grin on his face. So I cut in, “Mom – I have to go RIGHT NOW – the agency called! We’re getting our referral!!” She joked back, “No, you need to stay on the phone to make plans with me!” Then she said something about calling her later but I was already hanging up! haha

K (our case worker) conference called me in, so John and I both listened in on our cell phones. At this point it was about 5:45pm and we were about 45 minutes away from our house. She went on to tell us all the information she had about our baby boy. The whole time she saw talking I was bawling my eyes out. I kept sniffing so loud that I thought for sure I was distracting her! I couldn’t stop smiling and crying at the same time! That phone call is such a blur to me. I was trying to scribble down all the information I could. She said she emailed it all to us along with his pictures. We got off the phone about 10 minutes away from our house.

We texted and called family and close friends to pass the 10 minutes. Then we pulled into the driveway and left all our suitcases/bags and such in the car and ran to the computer! Before we opened the email John said a sweet but short prayer! Then we opened it and saw the perfect face of our son. He is seriously the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!

 (here’s John with Mareto’s picture)
(and me with Mareto’s picture)

We emailed the pics to family and called/texted some more people. Then we went to the church (next door) and printed out his pictures. We announced it on our listserv and facebook and then grabbed his pictures and went out to dinner. We drooled over them the whole meal!

 (the happy new Daddy)
(Mommy’s on cloud nine!)

So, the facts… Mareto is a precious 4 week old!!! (SO young!) and he weighs 8.1 lbs. He really is a bundle of pure adorableness. There are some other details that we’re keeping to ourselves, but might share in the future. Right now we are just so happy to know who our son is!

Thank you so much for all your prayers and support – keep them coming!!:)I wish we could share his pictures, but we aren’t allowed to until he’s home with us. Until then… here’s a sneek peek of his precious little hands…

Back to Top|Email|Share on Facebook|Tweet this Post|Subscribe (RSS)